The day of Arafah is the day the Prophet ﷺ gave the farewell sermon and the day our deen was perfected – Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ completed Islam as a religion. “This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion.” [ Al-Ma’idah, 5:3].
Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ also swears by this day in the Qur’an – Surah Al-Buruj. Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ swears by nothing except that which is great and mighty! “By the sky containing great stars. And [by] the promised Day. And [by] the witness and by the witnessed” [Al-Buruj, 85: 2-3]. ‘And the Promised day’ refers to the Day of Judgement. ‘And by the Witness’ refers to Friday. ‘And by the Witnessed’ refers to the day of Arafah. So this day has great significance.
People from other faith recognise the virtues of this day. Imam Ibn Kathir رَحِمَهُ ٱللّٰهُ in his tafsir writes: “A Jewish man said to Umar bin Al-Khattab رضي الله عنه, `O Leader of the Believers! There is a verse in your Book, which is read by all of you (Muslims), and had it been revealed to us, we would have taken that day (on which it was revealed) as a day of celebration.’ Umar رضي الله عنه asked ‘Which is that verse?’ The Jew replied: “This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion.” Umar رضي الله عنه replied, “By Allah! I know when and where this verse was revealed to Allah’s Messenger. It was the evening on the Day of `Arafah on a Friday.”
ARAFAH DAY CHECKLIST
- PRAY – obligatory and nawafil salah (Tahajjud, Duha, Sunnah Al Rawatib)
- RECITE QUR’AN
- ISTIGFAR – “There is no day on which Allahﷻ frees people from the Fire more so than on the day of ‘Arafah. He comes close to those (people standing on ‘Arafah), and then He reveals before His Angels saying, ‘What are these people seeking.” (Muslim)
- FASTING – “Fasting on the Day of Arafah expiates the sins of the past year and the coming year.” (Muslim)
- DUA – The Prophet ﷺ, said: “THE BEST SUPPLICATION IS THAT MADE ON THE DAY OF ‘ARAFAH, and the best thing that I have ever said along with all the previous prophets is:
لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له له الملك وله الحمد وهو على كل قدير (LA ILAAHA ILLA ALLAH WAHDAHU LA SHARIKA LAH, LAHUL MULK WA LAHUL HAMD, WA HUWA ‘ALA KULLI SHAY’IN QADEER (None is worthy of worship but Allah, The Exalted Alone, without any partners. All sovereignty and praise belongs to Him and He is over all things Omnipotent).’” (Tirmidhi)
It is reported that anyone that recites this dua 100 times in the day will receive the reward of freeing 10 slaves, 100 rewards will be written for him and 100 sins wiped away, and he will be protected from Shaytan for the remainder of the day.
- CHARITY – monetary value, time, etc.
- HELP SOMEONE OUT –The most beloved people to Allah are those who are most beneficial to people. [Al-Albani]
The best way to make the most of this day is to renew your intentions and intensify your worship. May Almighty Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ accept our act of Ibadah and reward us for our actions.
Read more on virtues of Dhul Hujjah and Day of Arafah.